What are Selenistart and Selenigrass?
Selenistart and Selenigrass are grassland fertilisers enriched with granular selenium specifically formulated to raise selenium in pasture and forage to optimum levels for livestock health.
Why Use SeleniStart and SeleniGrass?
- Selenium is essential for animal health.
- Selenium deficiency is linked to infertility, retained placentas, poor LWG and a wide range of sub-clinical symptoms.
- 90% of UK soils are deficient in selenium.
- Pasture and silage typically contains only 10-20% of the selenium levels required by livestock.
- Trials in the UK and Ireland have proven that Selenistart and Selenigrass can elevate and sustain selenium levels in pasture, forage and animal bloods for optimal health and performance.
Trials in the UK and Ireland have proved the efficacy of Selenistart and Selenigrass with improvements in fertility, less retained cleanings and higher LWG.
GRAPH: PASTURE & BLOOD SELENIUM TRIAL – SUDDER COWS PERTHSHIRE
1. Selenium and livestock:
Selenium is an essential nutrient for livestock health and performance.
Selenium deficiency can lead to potentially serious clinical disorders and production loss:
- Retained placenta
- White muscle disease
- Ill-thrift, poor LWG and a range of auto-immune disorders
2. Selenium and grass:
Although grass does not need Selenium, it does take it up from the soil.
- 90% of UK soils are deficient in Selenium which is reflected in very low levels in grass.
- Adding granular Selenium to fertiliser elevates the Selenium level in pasture and forage which is reflected in higher blood Selenium levels.
- Higher levels of Selenium can be provided in the base diet throughout the year, enabling a reduction or elimination of other, more expensive forms of supplementation.
3. Selenium in fertilisers:
Applying Selenium in fertilisers such as Selenistart and Selenigrass:
- Is simple and does not involve additional work.
- Is cost effective compared to other forms of supplementation (c. 2p per head per day).
- Does not involve animal handling.
- Helps improve residual soil Selenium levels.
Who We Are
Our expertise is deep and varied because we built Agrii by combining specialised companies over the last 30 yearsOverview of Agrii
If you are interested in tours, shows, product demos or training. Explore our upcoming eventsGet Involved
iFarms & Tech Centres
Agrii iFarms and Technology Centres are a network of farm Research and Development sites across the UKFind A Site
Making the right selling decisions at the right time is essential for every growerMaximise Margins
Join Our Community
We love engaging with clients and partners. Give us a follow and let's share stories for the community.
A picture paints a thousand words. Follow us on Instagram to see what we are up to.
Follow us on the worlds biggest social media site for the latest news and events straight to your feed.
Stay In Touch
Receive email updates on topical news and information from around Agrii and UK Farming.
Listen To Our Podcasts
Listen to the Tramlines Podcast. Fortnightly chat about agriculture and trials with your host Tony Smith.
News - 07/12/23‘The field of the future’: The Digital Technology Farms
We have launched an innovative new project involving the use of several connected technologies that can be used to make agronomic decisions at field scale throughout the growing season.
News - 23/02/24
Ambitious for the Future of Farming
News - 22/12/23
A Christmas tribute to the UK’s farmers…
News - 19/12/23
Veg trials show yield benefit of Agrii-Start Release
News - 12/12/23
Launching Our Sustainable Future: A New Chapter For Green Horizons
News - 04/12/23
From the fields
Find leading products for all your crop, livestock, and equipment needs