As the name implies, naked oats naturally thresh free from the husk during harvest. This natural groat is nutrient dense with high digestible energy, and gives itself into a range of different sectors demonstrating the versatility and respect this crop has gained.
Our naked oats are marketed under GB Seeds ‘Superioats’ brand into our various end-users. They are used as a whole grain, for flaking, malting and in animal feeds. Industries include wild bird food, dog food, poultry, and horses with the versatility of naked oats reaching as far as cosmetics.
Lennon (Breeder’s agent: Senova)
- The well-established spring naked oat variety with slightly higher yields than Oliver in more northern sites. Lennon has been tried and tested with end-users and is widely accepted.
- Shorter than most conventional spring oats with decent standing power. However, as with all oats, if placing on heavier or more fertile ground, growers will need to be aware that PGRs should be included in the programme on all oats. Moderately resistant to crown rust and mildew, means that a standard fungicide program will keep this line clean.
Oliver (Breeder’s agent: Cope Seeds)
- A spring naked oat that has produced slightly higher yields in more southern sites in Agrii trials when compared to Lennon. Oliver has also shown to have slightly larger grain size with better screenings and a good specific weight.
- Taller than Lennon, expect similar height to Canyon. Oliver’s moderate straw strength means that growers need to keep PGRs in the tank. In a standard programme situation Oliver has stood and performed well.
- Susceptible to crown rust and moderately resistant to mildew, a standard fungicide programme will be required. Oliver is a great additional to the portfolio and offers growers a different type to Lennon.
The data presented here is a partial abstraction from the AHDB Recommended List. The complete data set is available on the AHDB website here
Join Our Community
We love engaging with clients and partners. Give us a follow and let's share stories for the community.
A picture paints a thousand words. Follow us on Instagram to see what we are up to.
Stay In Touch
Receive a monthly email update on topical news and information from around Agrii and UK Farming.
Listen To Our Podcasts
Listen to the Tramlines Podcast. Fortnightly chat about agriculture and trials with your host Tony Smith.
Seed Rate Calculator
Use our Seed Rate Calculator to help you plan your seed requirements and establishment goalsSeed Rate Calculator
Making the right selling decisions at the right time is essential for every growerMaximise Margins
News - 07/12/23‘The field of the future’: The Digital Technology Farms
We have launched an innovative new project involving the use of several connected technologies that can be used to make agronomic decisions at field scale throughout the growing season.
News - 23/02/24
Ambitious for the Future of Farming
News - 22/12/23
A Christmas tribute to the UK’s farmers…
News - 19/12/23
Veg trials show yield benefit of Agrii-Start Release
News - 12/12/23
Launching Our Sustainable Future: A New Chapter For Green Horizons
News - 04/12/23